Wednesday 23 July 2014

Photo Post: X-Wing Repaints, or "How I joined the Dark Side"

Greetings, yes I have been off the map a little for various reasons, but over half of my modelling time of late has been spent playing games of 7th edition 40k (which I am absolutely loving, best edition ever), and trying out a few games of Fantasy Flight's X-Wing Spaceship Battle Game.

Star Wars! Lasers in Space! Pew Pew!

I must admit, I am not a Star Wars enthusiast. I didn't know any rebel ships other than X wings or A wings existed, nor did I know the elaborate back story involved in choosing the individual tone of blue-gray for each of the TIE fighters from each specific movie. So throwing all this aside, I set out to repaint all my Imperial models in the one shade! Taking the opportunity to use my new airbrush, i chose a light, high contrast GW grey and set to work. A simple wash and drybrush later and I'm ready for my next game.


Light on the left, dark on the right??


I really love the higher contrast cockpit as compared to the original paint scheme. I also added in a gloss finish to the black, a little bit of blue glow to the engine, and limited the red stripes to the hull rather than the solar paneling (I think that's what it is?). One thing's for sure, painted models roll better, so let's hope re-painted ones perform exceptionally!


2 comments:

  1. They look great. Not sure I can be bothered to repaint my x-wing stuff. It is one of the reasons I really like the game, there is no hobbying involved! You can just buy and play :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the shorter game time and pre-painted models also appealed. I was given the TIE Defender from a friend and disliked the darker paint scheme, one thing led to another and now I'm 5 TIE Fighters into the repaint! Still wrapping my head around the tactics though, knowing when to quit is also the key to learning quickly ;)

      Delete